Certificate of Achievement in Weather Forecasting
Program Contact: David Babb
The Department of Meteorology’s e-education group has developed three online courses that, in combination with METEO 101: Understanding Weather Forecasting, constitute a distance-learning program that provides students with a scientifically-based, well-rounded apprenticeship in weather forecasting. Fundamentally, successful students will become better-informed weather consumers. In addition, students will acquire a host of skills that will enable them to competently apply forecasting techniques in the setting of the World Wide Web.
Whether you are an amateur weather enthusiast or a weather-related industry professional, enrolling in this online certificate program is a perfect way to enhance your career or degree. Through the online meteorology courses that compose this 12-credit certificate program of study, you can build a foundational understanding of contemporary forecasting techniques. All courses in the program can be completed around your own schedule, where and when it’s most convenient for you.
The program is offered exclusively through Penn State’s World Campus. Upon successful completion of the four courses, students will receive a Certificate of Achievement in Weather Forecasting.
- METEO 101: Understanding Weather Forecasting
- METEO 241: Fundamentals of Tropical Forecasting
- METEO 361: Fundamentals of Mesoscale Weather Forecasting
- METEO 410: Advanced Topics in Weather Forecasting
Want to learn more?
- Detailed information about the program-including course registration-is published at the World Campus website.
- See Lee Grenci’s presentation about the Certificate Program
- Hear what students have to say about this program!
- Read “A Grand Experiment in e-Education: Offering Adult Students an Online
Apprenticeship in Weather Forecasting” (BAMS, July 2008)
- Learn about Rick Schmidt, program graduate and recipient of the 2008 Outstanding Earth Science Teacher award for Pennsylvania.
- Learn how the Weather Forecasting Certificate was a perfect fit for student Rick Coon!
- Visit the website for the John A.Dutton e-Education Institute.